Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!


 
I always love this time of year.  Ever since I was a little girl, I loved this time of year.  Christmas Eve was spent at home with mom, dad and the brother.  We would play out in the snow all day, usually pelting each other with it.  Mom would call us in for dinner.  Beef stroganoff.  I love it.  I try to recreate it but I am horrible at it.  Then one of the parents would take my brother and I somewhere.  Just one, the other stayed at home.  When we got back, "Santa" mysteriously came.  We would then get to tear into those presents while eating the Christmas cookies we made the day after Thanksgiving.  After the present opening was done, we would change and head to the candlelight service at church.  We would head home and sleep till the next morning. 

The next day we were greeted with Pillsbury orange rolls with icing.  Orange juice usually came in too.  After that, we would load up the car/truck/jeep with the presents for the rest of the family and head to Burlington, to my grandparents house.  I come from a very small family and usually everyone would be there, including sometimes a couple dogs.  We would all gather, hang around for awhile.  I usually found the veggie tray and put a black olive on each finger.  My aunt (at the time) got me to love them.  I still do to this day.  My fingers are a bit bigger now so it doesn't work as well.  The family would then gather in the living room.  There wasn't a big tree, just a small one on the table.  My grandfather would always wear his Christmas vest that would light up and a tie as well.  My brother and I would usually be Santa handing out presents.  We were the only kids in the family, so it was fun.  Dinner was served at the big table.  Since we were a small family, there was no separate table for the kids.  After dinner, the table would be cleared while Trivial Pursuit was being brought out.  The adults would play the game with their drinks while my brother and I did what we could.  I sometimes would sit down at the piano and play.  After awhile, we would pack up the car and head home.  My brother and I usually fell asleep but always woke up as we turned down our street. 

I miss those Christmases as a kid but as I am getting older, new traditions are starting.  Since I met my love, we spend Christmas Eve together after I go to church. We have a dinner of stuffed shells, with a bottle of wine usually from my mother.  After dinner, we would exchange gifts.  This year, I have found something I am hoping he truly loves.  The next day, we pick up his boys and head to his folks for Christmas Day.  It is nice to be included in their family celebration but it makes me miss my own family.  My family is getting smaller and smaller and it is hard to be away from them. 

I look forward to having my own family one day and starting some traditions with them.  It may have been a hard year this year, but I am still loving this time of year.  Nothing can ruin my Christmas spirit. 

It is a great time of year to share some love!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment