Friday, October 5, 2012

First snowfall!

I woke up this morning to a little bit of snow on the ground.  It was enough to cover the grass.  Many people were complaining about it but I find it refreshing.  The change in seasons can happen abruptly and then go back to the other in Colorado.

The first snowfall always reminds me of the snow when I was a kid.  I grew up in the great state of Wisconsin.  The summers are hot, the fall is beautiful and the winters are harsh.  But no matter how much snow there was, my brother and I managed to have a blast. 

There were many mornings waiting for the bus in our snowsuits with nothing more than our eyes showing.  By the time we got to school, we had snotsciles.  The lockers up and down the hallway would be cover in snowpants, winter coats and scarfs dripping of snow.  We would be sitting in class looking out on the parking lot where plows made huge piles of snow from the snow covering the lot.  When the bell rang for recess, all the students would rush to their lockers to put on those snowpants and other winter garments.  Running out to the snow mounds, as fast as you could run snowboots and snowpants, the fun began!

My brother and I had similar fun at home too.  The mounds were smaller but we still built forts to have snowball fights in the front yard.  We dug tunnels and archways to get through the snow. A small hill in our backyard provided for the shortest sledding ever.  Thankfully, we had an amazing neighbor across the street who let us sled in her backyard. She had a big hill that lasted for more than a five second ride. She watched over my brother and me like we were family.  The greatest accomplishment my brother has done in the front yard was a pyramid that was taller then him.  He is 6'5" so it was a tall pyramid!  We put tiki torches in each of the corners.  It was interesting to watch it melt and be the only piece of snow left in the front yard come spring. 

Since living in Colorado, I have not seen as much snow as there was when I was a kid.  There have been some big snows, but nothing like when I was a kid.  One of my favorite snow memories of Colorado was New Years 2010-2011.  It was my second New Years with my love and our first as a couple.  I love to stay home and watch the ball drop, so thankfully he did too.  At some point during the night, we put on our swimsuits, snowboots, winter hats and robes and headed out to the hot tub.  It was a beautiful snow that made his hair freeze.  We were joined but others in the tub as well and we celebrated with champagne. 

The first snowfall always brings back these memories and I think of the memories that will be made in the future.  I adore the fall but also love the snow when it comes around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment