Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The sound of crunching leaves

One of the perks of being unemployed is being able to spend more time working out and spending time outdoors.  I took a 10 mile bike ride through the greenbelt today and the weather was perfect.  I could feel fall coming through the trees as the sun shone perfectly on the path in front of me.  The leaves were slowly falling in perfect time with each pedal of my bike.  It was calming and reassuring at the same time. 

As I continued to ride, I felt the crunch of leaves underneath the tires. The wind picked up in some spots, but I pushed through.  Towards the end of the ride, I came across three men standing on one of the bridges.  They were older and looked like they had so many stories.  One had a walker and was mentally handicapped. The other two were hunched over the railing watching fish as they swam by.  I said a good afternoon to them, and all three of them said hello back at the same time.  The one with the walker had the biggest smile on his face and waved.   I asked how they were and they said they were thrilled to be outside and saying hi to everyone.  I wished them a great day and continued on my way.  This interaction, although short and sweet, made my entire day.  I may never see these men again but they made an impact. 

Fall is always a time of renewal for me.  Many people see Spring as that renewal but Fall has that calming effect on me.  I can curl up in a sweater with a hot cup of tea and a good book.  It is the perfect evening for me.  I am hoping this Fall will be the ultimate renewal for me.

As I have said before, it is all about the love.  May Fall renew love in the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment