Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Who You Are

Tonight, I went to my Krav center to take a crossfit class.  I take both crossfit and Krav Maga classes.  In tonights class, I had to do 100 pull ups, 100 situps, 100 push ups and 100 squats.  I am going to be sore in the morning.  It pushes me to stay in shape and really is a nice motivator being with oher people. 

But on the way back from the class, I was listening to Jessie J.  If you don't know who she is, look her up.  There is a song at the end of the cd called Who You Are. The lyrics spoke to me tonight.  The chorus of the song says:

Don't lose who you are in the blur of the stars!
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay.
Sometimes it's hard to follow your heart.
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are!
 
After hearing these lyrics, I realized I had lost sight of who I am in my last job.  I was trying to fit in when I should have been who I was and stood out.  I laughed at jokes that were not okay, I took part in conversations that were not appropriate (or okay to me) and I socialized with people that I disagreed with on the basic human level. I asked for forgiveness a lot in those three years.  I lost sight of who I was. Being away from that and having the time to rediscover who I am is the greatest gift I can give myself. 
 
I am a strong, smart, creative, christian woman.  I was raised by amazing parents who as I got older, I realized just how much they sacrificed to do everything they could for my brother and me.  I am blessed to have them as my parents and I wouldn't trade them for the world.  I have this awesome older brother who even though we have had our issues as kids, we have grown into a relationship I can count on.  These three people have had a major influence in my life and I don't know what I would do without them. 
 
I have made a promise to myself to never let myself lose sight of me.  I know who I am and have worked hard to get to be this person.  There are so many people out there that love and care about me for who I am, not the one that is try to fit in.  Where ever I end up next in my career, they will except me for the awesome person I am and not ask me to compromise that. 
 
I am still a firm believer in love in all things.  "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love"

No comments:

Post a Comment